Here are some crucial questions to ask before hiring a website developer or an online marketing company (including SEO companies):
- • Who will own the domain?
- • With what company will the site be hosted, and what country is the site going to be hosted in?
- • What system will the site be based on? (e.g., Joomla, WordPress, Drupal)
- • Who will be able to update the site content?
- • How long will it take to get content updated?
- • Who will take care of emergency software updates when security issues arise?
- • Who will add new email addresses or change passwords when needed?
Web Design Questions
- • What is the maximum content download size you adhere to for any website?
- • What’s the longest it should take a website to fully appear in a browser?
- • For mobiles, will the website be responsive or will it have separate mobile pages?
- • What features will show up on the home page when viewed on a mobile device?
- • What features will not show up on the home page when viewed on a mobile device?
- • What calls to action will be present?
Search Engine Optimization Questions
- • What are the most important rules to follow for a website to have good Google rankings?
- • If the website can be made to rank well on Google, what enhancements will help it get more clicks from the search results page?
- • What are the most important rules to follow for showing up in the local search results section?
- • How do you go about finding the ideal keywords to target?
- • What is required to convert the site to HTTPS?
- • What will be done to minimize loss of visitors when revamping the whole site?
Performance Reporting Questions
- • How do you measure and report phone calls, map views, or emails sent by mobile visitors to the website?
- • How do you measure clicks made by visitors to start a video playing?
- • How do you measure email list subscribe button clicks?
- • What information will be provided from Google Webmaster Tools?